If only for a moment
rest and see reflected
all that is right & beautiful
with this world.
MY DAILY WALKS
For many years now, my mornings have begun with a hike along the Northern California coastline and mountain trails. These walks have become my daily meditation. The open spaces provide a place of peace and connection to something far beyond the sweeping views. Whether it be the roar of the ocean or the silence of the forest, it is this natural landscape that speaks of the changing seasons and the eternal transformation of everything, including ourselves.
I believe that each of our daily walks can lead us to this place of peace and connection. We have only to pay attention to the small but miraculous details along the way to inevitably tap into the beauty and expansiveness that exists inside all of us.
It is my hope that these images from Daily Walks will inspire you to look more closely at the beauty that is in your own world and that by doing so, you'll experience more deeply, the surrounding light and compassion within.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
2013: International Garden Photographer of the Year Competition - 2nd Place - Portfolios (6 images)
I also had the honor of having one of my portfolio images from my Immersed Memories Series used for the cover of this beautiful book:
- 2010: BEST AMERICAN PHOTOBLOG: A heartfelt THANK YOU to each of you who made this award possible many years ago. Being voted in by fellow photographers made this all the more rewarding. A special thanks to Cool Photoblogs, the sponsor of this award.
- 2010: WINNER OF PX3, Prix de la Photographie Paris - Second Prize in Nature - Domestic Animals: "Already Consumed"
- 2010: First Impressions by Mansi Bhatia: Photographer of Month - Diane Varner, July 2010
- 2009: Life and Learning Through the Lens by Darwin Wiggett: Photographer of the Month
- 2009: Smashing Magazine - 50 Wonderful, Inspiring Photoblogs
- 2009: 10 Most Stunning Photo Blogs - MakeUseOf.com
- 2008: Photoblog Awards - Best American Photoblog Finalist
- 2008: Photoblog Awards- Most Popular Photoblog Finalist
- 2008: Garden Photographer of the Year - Plant Portraits - 2nd Place
- 2008: Top Yachts Magazine - "The Spirit of the Ocean" by Alberto Brigidini — Featured Daily Walks' Ocean Images - 4-Page Spread | Poem by Federico García Lorca - Magazine Cover
- 2008: Seattle Post Intelligencer - Ten photo blogs by Regina Hackett
- 2007: Photoblog Awards - Best American Photoblog Finalist
- 2007: Telegraph.co.uk - Damien Noonan reviews the "Best Websites for Photography"
- 2007: The Providence Journal - by Sheila Lennon
- 2007: National Post - "Wasting Time is Good for Your Soul" - by Robert Fulford
- 2007: John Nack on Adobe - "Urban Decay, Pigs on Mopeds, & Other Good Photos"
- 2007: VFXY Photos - Weekly Pic by Dawn M. Armfield
- 2006: Photoblog Awards - Photoblog of the Year Finalist
All my images are shot in camera-raw and post-processed in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. My goal with each image is to fully express the essence of the subject at hand. By exploring and experimenting, I post-process the image as far as possible while attempting to maintain the original integrity of the shot. If you are interested, you can read more via my post-processing tutorials.
- Canon 5D Mark II
- Canon 7D
- Canon Powershot s100
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM (My Favorite)
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM IS (My Second Favorite)
- Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM (Excellent Wide Angle)
- Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM (Everyday Lens - great for low-light conditions)
- Kenko Extension Tube Set (Enables a lens to focus closer)
- Adobe Photoshop CS6 (Digital Darkroom)
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.0 (Catalogs / Bulk Processing)
- Imagenomic Noiseware (Reduces Camera Noise)
- Nik Pro Collection (Use these filters everyday)
- RadLab Filters (Fun filters to start the process)
- Topaz Detail (Good tool for sharpening)
- Soundslides Plus (For multimedia/storytelling slide shows)